Making a Decision to Outsource: Strategic Constraints
Many companies are reluctant to dive into outsourcing ocean because of various reasons of strategic nature. As far as strategic goals are touched upon, managers are concerned with the following issues:
- Risks and dangers of transferring too much managerial power to one partner. Companies fear to be too dependent on one offshore partner because its failure to meet commitments will definitely result in large losses for outsourcing company. To reduce such risks companies may diversify them, selecting several offshore vendors for partnering, in addition to thorough geopolitical analysis.
- Danger for senior management to become obsolete. When part of functions is transferred to offshore partner, it usually results in lay-offs. This can become a serious obstacle for companies willing to outsource, as they may face strong opposition from its own personnel and labor unions. In both cases indecisiveness and delays in acting may result in low effectiveness or even unprofitableness of outsourcing.
- Danger of becoming dependent from offshore provider. When considering outsourcing possibility, the companies should assess the consequences of vendor failure. The results of such analysis may vary greatly for different companies. To reduce possible risks of failure to carry out delivery schedules, companies shall work out legally binding agreements with tough conditions and heavy penalties.
- Protection and security of confidential information. Most mature offshore vendors enjoy more impressive security practices than internal ones of the outsourcing companies. However, the risk of commercial data theft or security breach significantly increases when working in international business. Although this issue rarely presents a serious obstacle to making a decision to outsource, it should not be underestimated, the requirements must be documented and the methods and integration with vendors defined.
- Outsourcing results in knowledge transfer to outside party and vendors' personnel training. There is an ever-present pressure to retain functions perspective for outsourcing within the company, even if it means increasing staff and training new personnel. The most common argument is that there is always a possibility of returning functions that have been outsourced back into the company. Companies must carefully assess their business knowledge and determine whether its spreading might compromise companies' practices and hinder achieving strategic goals.
Outsourcing is not just making a decision and enjoying the benefits of it. It is an ongoing process of strategic analysis and vendors' relations management. Company must clearly identify its strategic goals, and decide whether outsourcing part of its functions will be beneficial or it may hinder its strategic development. If you are still not sure what option to choose, you may contact us, and our analysts will definitely help you.
Denis Syropushchinsky is a Marketing Manager in Qulix Systems - Offshore Outsourcing Software Development Company, located in Minsk, Belarus, Eastern Europe. Our client-oriented approach and effective offshore software development services are the things that will help you to achieve your business goals. If you have further questions about offshore outsourcing, please contact us. Copyright 2005 Denis Syropushchinsky. All rights reserved. This article may be freely reprinted on your websites. We only require that the article and the resource box at the bottom of each article remain unchanged.
The Accountability/Alignment Process: Three Steps to an Accountable Organization
The Accountability/Alignment Process: Three Steps to an Accountable Organization Generating genuine accountability and functional alignment into your workplace cannot be left to vague ambitions and abstract statements. Well designed processes must be embedded into the heart of an organization to ensure that each employee's goals and expectations are clearly defined and that the resources to bring about specific measurable results are in place.
Content Management: Wise Investment for Business Prosperity
Connecting Your Offline Business to Your Online Business
These may sound like no brainers, but you'd be surprised. No matter how high-tech your business has become, there is no doubt you still have some non-electronic aspects of your company.
Many movies have been made about the tragic story of the Titanic. Arrogance and ignorance was definitely present during its maiden voyage, which was Titanic's last voyage.
Troubled Waters Require Capable Leaders at the Helm
Canada's lean leaders need to look beyond the horizon and chart the futureIn stormy times, true leadership skills emerge, says Larry Coté, the President of Lean Advisors Inc. (
The Magic Of Exponential Business Growth
Is there a 'magical' way to exponentially grow your business?It's about the timeless business principle known as "Re-investment".Look, one of the most exciting times for any new business is the time when effort begins to pay off.
What is a Shared Vision?
So what makes a vision successful? Everyday companies try to create a vision that will lead them into the future but seldom does that vision ever impact the organization. The reason for this is that the vision is created by a few and never becomes a 'shared vision' of the entire organization.
Don't Allow Yourself to Get Burned
I am not a big fisherman, but I do enjoy it whenever the opportunity comes my way. I have some friends who are fanatics and occasionally I will go out with one of them.
Mobile Franchise Business Expansion Strategy
If you own a mobile franchise business and wish to expand you will need to have a strategy that involves your franchisor. Additionally if you are a franchisor it is important to have some sort of policy in place in advance so that there are no hurt feelings as franchisees expand.
When Do I Need To Hire A Business Plan Consultant
Every new business owner knows that a business plan is critical - it is drilled into them by potential investors and every banking officer they meet. So why is something that is so important to the launch of a new venture so difficult to write? Good question! In this article I will try to address when you should go out and hire a business plan writer versus taking on the task yourself.
Pressure Washing Entrepreneurs Can Help With Government NPDES Permits
If you own a pressure washing business one of the smartest things you can do is get involved with the local and regional enforcement for storm water environmental laws. The reason being is they do not understand the washing process of the industry and you can assist them with pertinent information.
Why 9 in 10 Businesses are Overspending on Day-to-day Expenses
Experts estimate that 90 percent of Australian businesses are overspending on day-to-day expenses, by as much as 75 percent in some cost categories!Looked at the operating costs of your business lately? You might be surprised at the savings that can be gained with a systematic approach to cutting costs.The easiest way to lift profits is to cut the fat out of costs.
Mining Market Data
With a heightened awareness of opportunity, ideas can often be generated by market research. The National Women's Business Center (NWBC) defines market research as "a systematic, objective collection and analysis of data about your target market, competition, and/or environment with the goal being increased understanding.
How to Write a Business Plan in Five Steps
People often ask "What makes a good business plan? Or, "How do I make my plan attractive to lenders and investors?".The simple answer is that lenders and investors (I'll call them "readers" from here on out) are looking for "good deals".
Abstract Thought; Business Strategies and Biological Systems
To stop a computer virus you must understand how it works, grows and what it's innate purpose is? What is its program, evolution and future vectors. The fastest way to expand a business or exploit a competitor on a sports team is to use the organizational patterns of nature like swarms, ants, and viruses.
Balanced Scorecard Strategy Map
With the help of balanced scorecard strategy map, it is very easy to design the organization goals and build business strategies. Balance scorecard and strategy map are interrelated with each other.
The Power of Planning
I am surprised how few sales professionals, independent consultants, and small business owners take the time to plan the strategy for their business. Most people spend more time writing out a grocery list or planning a vacation than they do planning the direction or outcome of their business.
Thinking Like A Farmer
One of the difficulties we face in our industrialized age is the fact we've lost our sense of seasons. Unlike the farmer whose priorities change with the seasons, we have become impervious to the natural rhythm of life.
Strategy Without Tactics is Futile
From time to time there seems to be a flurry of studies and surveys on effective communication in the workplace. As a communication specialist, I'm always eager to read these studies, but am often disappointed with what I see.
Becoming Wise - Wild & Free - Writing A Successful Business Plan - Part 2 - Do It In Steps
So you've decided to write your own business plan because you know the value that the experience will give you. With the books and software that are out there today you can probably sit down and complete the plan in a day or so, right? Plug in the numbers, add the notes, write the whole narrative (story), print it and get it out to the banks or investors.
|home | site map|